- Home > Breast surgery center > Gynecomastia
What is gynecomastia?
- Gynecomastia is a phenomenon in which the areola (surrounding area of nipples) of men swells up in the form of breasts or presents a lump-like form.
Causes of gynecomastia
- 1. Excessive secretion of female hormones
- 2. Temporary symptoms during puberty
- 3. Use of certain drugs or internal disease, such as liver disease
- 4. Caused by malignant tumor
Symptoms of gynecomastia
- Gynecomastia may cause slight pain or present no symptoms. The degree of swelling is diverse, ranging from slight swelling to large breast size and can even cause drooping of breast tissue.
Treatment purpose of gynecomastia
- Gynecomastia generated during puberty can be observed without conducting a surgical procedure. However, there are two surgical purposes of gynecomastia: reconstruction of male chest and histologic analysis of breast lesion, thus differential diagnosis from cancer.
Surgical method of gynecomastia
- Subcutaneous mastectomy is implemented for the surgical method. Various methods are used according to the skin incision method. Surgery is relatively simple and hardly leaves scarring.