Breast revision surgery
- Home > Breast surgery center > Breast revision surgery
Why do people have breast revision surgery?
- There are various causes for revision surgery. A common reason is that patients are disappointed with the results of the surgery that was conducted by a doctor without much experience in breast surgery. In other cases, patients were displeased with the shape or texture after surgery or discontented with the size of implant type used in the surgery. Revision surgery must be conducted 6 months after the previous surgery.
- With over 5000 breast surgeries implemented by specialists, MD hospital possesses various experiences in relation to revision surgery. 1/3 of patients that visit MD hospital come in hopes of revising breasts that have been operated in other hospitals.
Cause of breast revision surgery
- Capsular contracture
- Capsular contracture is a phenomenon in which breasts become hard after surgery and is the most common cause of revision surgery. Capsular contracture is caused by various causes including infection, hematoma formed by bleeding, foreign substances, insufficient ablation during surgery, negligent care after surgery and constitution. Capsular contracture accompanies defect in both texture and shape. The recurrence rate of capsular contracture is significantly low at MD hospital, which uses a capsular contracture prevention solution.
- Bulging of upper part
- As the most common type of shape disorder, the implant is moved upward due to insufficient ablation during the 1st surgery or negligent care after surgery. As beautiful breasts must present an even surface above the nipples and bulky volume in the lower part, bulging of upper part is a main source of discontent for patients.
- Asymmetrical breasts
- As it is impossible for our bodies to be completely symmetrical, a certain degree of asymmetry exists in breasts in relation to the location or height of nipples, size of breasts or difference in bone or muscle below the breast tissue. In this regard, asymmetry can be discovered through close observation. However, revision surgery becomes essential when the asymmetry is severe and can be easily noticed. Asymmetry can be presented in relation to shape, size, height and even texture.
- Defective implant location
- If the implant is located above muscles to present poor texture, it can be moved below the muscles to improve texture and create a more natural shape. Also, inserting implants below muscles makes it more favorable to conduct breast cancer examination.
- Excessive ablation (middle, outer, lower sides)
- The space for inserting the implant must be accurately ablated to achieve outstanding shape and texture. However, defective shape is created when ablation is larger in one side. By suturing the part of excessive ablation, breasts of appropriate shape and texture can be created. Partial or total decapsulation must be performed on the sutured area.
- Incomplete ablation
- It is important to create an appropriate space for inserting the implant during breast surgery. Dented breasts can be created if the provided space is insufficient. Additional space ablation is required and decapsulation can also be performed if necessary.
- Implant burst
- Capsular contracture is generally the main cause of implant damage. The implant bursts when the tight capsula continuously pressurizes the implant. This can be diagnosed through the ultrasound examination. Complete removal of implant can be achieved by areola or inframammary incision for various types of implants including hydrogel bag, silicon bag and the latest cohesive gel bag, except for the saline solution bag. Revision surgery can be simultaneously performed to improve the size, shape and texture of breasts. As it is difficult to remove the hydrogel bag and silicon bag that are attached to the surrounding capsula, decapsulation can be partially carried out for the saline solution bag and cohesive gel bag, which are not attached to the capsula.
- Size (larger, smaller)
- A majority of patients that receive augmentation mammoplasty regret the fact that they did not choose larger implants during the surgery. This is because patients become dissatisfied with the size of their breasts as they grow accustomed to their breasts over time. To create larger breasts with good texture, the capsula surrounding the existing implant must be partially or completely removed to widen the space. On the other hand, it is relatively easier to replace large implants with smaller ones if the shape of the breasts does not present any defects.